VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE
Omega 3 fatty acids have been deemed ‘essential’ for good reason! Omega 3s provide the body with long chain fatty acids which are essential for proper brain functioning. These long chain fatty acids are absorbed by the blood brain barrier and used for structural and synthesised neuron signaling in the brain.
Omega 3s are one of the best sources of brain food! Flax seeds are one of the most potent plant-based sources of Omega 3 fatty acids.
Try out our recipe to incorporate more flax seeds into your diet today!
You Will Need:
- 1 flax ‘egg’ (1 Tbsp (7 g) flax seed meal + 2 ½ Tbsp (37 ml) water)
- 1 medium ripe banana (1 medium banana equals ~118 g unpeeled)
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 Tbsp flax oil or olive/seed oil you have available
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch Himalayan /sea salt
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped vegan dark chocolate or chocolate chips*
- 1/3 scant cup of cocoa powder (reduce or increase as desired)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Prepare flax egg. Combine flax seeds and water in a medium mixing bowl. Stir well. Allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- Once thickened add banana and mash well with flax egg. Add almond butter, flax oil, brown sugar, vanilla essence, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add gluten-free flour, rice flour and cocoa powder and mix to combine all ingredients into a semi-thick dough. If too thick, add some water. If too runny, add more rice flour. Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes to harden.
- Roll cookie dough on a flour dusted surface into a cylindrical shape. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into slices. Roll each slice in your palms into a small ball. Flatten each slice in the center with your thumb into a rounded cookie shape.
- Lastly, line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay out each cookie. Cookies will only expand slightly.
- Allow the cookies to bake for 20 minutes until light brown. Set out on a cooling rack and…
Adapted from The Minimalist Baker’s Recipe for Fluffy 1-Bowl Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies