VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE
You Will Need:
- 1 batch chia ‘egg’ (1 Tbsp (7 g) chia seed meal + 2 ½ Tbsp (37 ml)
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup dairy-free milk (we used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 cup dairy-free dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 small beetroot, peeled and boiled
- Prepare chia egg. Combine chia seeds and water in a medium mixing bowl. Stir well to distribute seeds throughout the solution. Allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mash beetroot until a semi-smooth mixture forms.
- Add peeled bananas and baking powder to thickened chia ‘egg’ and mash together well with a fork until small chunks remain.
- Add oil to mixture and whisk to combine. Once combined, add dairy-free milk and stir to combine. Add salt and oats and mix well. Add gluten-free flour and mix until a good dough consistency forms. Batter should be thick but pourable (not runny). Soft peaks should form when you dip a spoon into the batter. If too thin, add gluten-free flour and stir through. If too thick, add dairy-free milk and stir through.
- Lastly, add chocolate chips and stir until well distributed.
- Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes. Preheat waffle iron and grease with olive oil.
- Add 1 cup of batter to waffle iron and cook for duration specified by iron’s instructions.
- Add a gradually increasing amount of mashed beetroot to each cup of batter added to iron to create an ombré colour effect.
- Remove waffles from iron with a fork and set aside to cool separately to avoid waffles becoming soggy.
- Serve with maple syrup or your choice of vegan yoghurt and assorted berries and fruit.
Adapted from The Minimalist Baker’s Recipe for 1-Bowl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Waffles.